Tax products and preparation service offered free at Stillwater Public Library
(STILLWATER, OKLA. / Jan. 24, 2014) – Tax time, one of the most dreaded periods of the year, is quickly approaching. To help make the tax filing process a little easier, the Stillwater Public Library will once again provide citizens with free tax help, computer use and federal tax products.
According to library director Lynda Reynolds, some of the federal forms and instructions for tax year 2013 have started to arrive, but most of the more popular forms will be delayed until mid-February.
“Unfortunately, forms and instructions are delivered just a little bit later every year,” said Reynolds. “We encourage you to give us a call or check online to see if the item you need has arrived.”
A list of products ordered and received is regularly updated on the library’s website at http://library.stillwater.org/taxes.php. Taxpayers may also call the library’s Help Desk at 405-372-3633 x8106 for the information.
The Oklahoma Tax Commission no longer provides hardcopy forms to libraries. The 2013 income tax forms and packets can be viewed and printed from the Oklahoma Tax Commission website at http://www.tax.ok.gov. According to the Oklahoma Tax Commission, tax forms will be mailed to individuals who received them by mail last year, as long as they live at the same address.
For taxpayers who need to prepare federal forms immediately, Reynolds suggests having a librarian assist in printing tax forms for ten cents per page. Instructions booklets, which may include over 100 pages, can be viewed at the IRS website at http://www.irs.gov using the library’s free computer and internet access.
Library computers are also available to do online filing. The IRS provides free tax preparation for many taxpayers through the Free File Alliance, a service comprised of 19 tax preparation software companies working with the IRS to provide the Free File Program. The mission is to provide an alternate way for moderate to lower income families to prepare and file their income taxes online in a fast, free, and safe way.
The federal return is free if eligibility requirements are met. A nominal fee may be charged for the corresponding state return. A similar service, MyFreeTaxes is available at http://www.myfreetaxes.com/spl and has a few more tools to help taxpayers prepare the information they will need to file. Both sites are accessible by clicking the “Taxes” link on the library’s homepage at http://library.stillwater.org.
For people who need more assistance, AARP Tax Aide volunteers will be on-hand to help people prepare and file their income tax forms at two City of Stillwater locations. Beginning Monday, Feb.3, volunteers will be at the City of Stillwater Senior Activity Center, 1015 E. 12th Ave., Monday through Thursday from 9:30 a.m. to noon and at the Stillwater Public Library, 1107 S. Duck St., on Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 1-4 p.m. The last day of tax assistance will be Tuesday, April 15, at both locations.
“This service is completely free,” said Zona Noyes, AARP Tax Aide volunteer. “No appointment is necessary.”
Taxpayers should bring the following documents with them:
- Social Security Cards for the taxpayer, spouse, and dependents.
- Photo identification such as a driver’s license.
- A copy of your TY 2012 Federal and State income tax returns.
- Taxpayer must be present at the Tax-Aide site for assistance. If filing Married Filing Jointly, both spouses are required to sign the tax returns.
- Birth dates for primary and secondary taxpayers, and dependents.
- Wage and earning statement(s) Forms W-2, W-2G (gambling winnings), 1099-G (unemployment compensation), from all sources.
- 1099-R, CSA 1099-R, and/or RRB 1099-R if receiving pension/annuity.
- 1099 Misc. received, e.g. oil/gas royalty, self-employment or other income.
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099s) and any Brokerage 2012 Consolidated Statements.
- Bank Routing Numbers and Account Numbers for Direct Deposit.
- If you believe your itemized deductions will exceed your standard deduction, bring records and information covering your qualified expenses for Medical, Mortgage Interest paid, Taxes Paid, Gifts to Charity, Job Expenses and Miscellaneous Deductions, and Other Miscellaneous Deductions such as gambling losses up to gambling winnings.
- Total amount paid for Day Care and Provider’s identifying number and statement.
- Tuition and Fees information including Form 1098-T (Tuition Statement).
The Stillwater Public Library is located at1107 S. Duck St. Library hours are Monday-Thursday, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.; Friday and Saturday, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.; and Sunday 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.