Stillwater News

Renting out a room in your home? Make sure you apply for your short-term rental license

Released:Jul 16, 2019

Initial licensing period now open to get license by Oct. 15


(STILLWATER, OKLAHOMA / July 16, 2019) – Do you rent a home or room to visitors for short periods of time? Make sure you apply for your short-term rental license from the City of Stillwater.

Applications are now available online or at the Stillwater Municipal Building (723 S. Lewis St.) The City is providing an initial licensing period of 90 days within which property owners should apply and receive their short-term rental license.

This means that you should have your license by Oct. 15, 2019, to ensure compliance with city ordinance.

A short-term rental is defined as the rental of any dwelling, portion thereof, or habitable accessory structure for a temporary period of time up to 30 consecutive days per guest within a 90-day period. This includes rentals through third-party companies such as Airbnb and VRBO.

Visit our Online Forms page and download the application under the Business Licenses & Registrations tab.

The fee for an initial application to operate a short-term rental is $100. Licenses expire annually on Jan. 31. The renewal fee for a license before it expires is $10.

Stillwater City Council passed Ordinance 3435 at its July 8 meeting. The ordinance authorizes short-term rentals in three residential zoning districts: single-family small lot residential (RSS), single-family large lot residential (RSL), and two-family residential (RT). A link to our zoning map is available on our Mapping Stillwater webpage.

Short-term rentals were previously illegal in residential districts in Stillwater before the City Council passed this ordinance. This ordinance allows residents the opportunity to participate in the short-term rental of their dwellings while also ensuring the proper lodging or room tax is remitted at the state and local levels.

To assist you in the application process, we have a list of frequently asked questions and helpful links at

For additional information or questions about the application process, contact Stillwater City Clerk at 405.742.8243, or visit the Municipal Building at 723 S. Lewis St.


For media inquiries, contact the Department of Marketing and Civic Engagement at 405.742.8219 or email

Back to News