Aviation around Stillwater started as early as 1917, with various grassy pastures being used to land planes.
In 1929, the City of Stillwater made the initial purchase of land for what was to become the Stillwater Regional Airport. It was originally called Searcy Field, named after it's first manager George Searcy. It started as a half-mile grass strip, a steel hanger, and a 10x10 wooden frame office. The airport was used to transport airmail, am image of the 1st air mail letter through the facility is shown.
The full history of the airport, from 1917 to 2003, is is available via PDF. Early newspaper clippings relating to the airport are also available in PDF format. The Development History from 1965 through 2005 is likewise available.