About the City of Stillwater Flag
On August 23, 1987, the City of Stillwater adopted its official flag. The flag is divided into five stripes of yellow, green and blue and embossed with a single, white stylized Bradford pear blossom. The flag flies with the green stripe uppermost.
- The white blossom represents Stillwater’s official tree, the Bradford pear.
- Yellow represents the abundant sunshine and energies of Oklahoma’s landscape and its citizens.
- Green represents the fertile and verdant environment.
- Blue represents the unlimited water supply from the Kaw Reservoir available to Stillwater.
About the Designer:
The Stillwater flag was designed by an Oklahoma State University professor of architecture F. Cuthbert Salmon (1915-2003). His wife was Christine Salmon (1916-1985), an OSU professor of architecture and Stillwater’s first woman mayor. She served from 1982 to 1985. Mayor Salmon was instrumental in establishing the sister city relationship between Stillwater and Kameoka, Japan. The relations was formalized in 1985 under the leadership of Mayor Calvin Anthony.